Monday, January 21, 2008

My Daily Diet/Health Routine


Since I talked about my beauty and skin care routine, I figured I may as well follow up that post with one about my health and daily diet. Being 5'4" I like to keep my weight range between 115-125 lbs. No more, no less. I have never done a "diet" in my life so when I use the word "diet" here I'm simply referring to my daily eating habits. I've been lucky that my agent has never asked me to lose a pound--yet another benefit of being a commercial/print model, but that doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to what I eat.

It's actually pretty easy to maintain a good and healthy weight without being a slave to counting calories or crash-dieting. All it takes is some discipline and routine.

Eats:

I eat 5-6 small meals a day. My main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are smaller portions that are no bigger than the size of my palm or hand. You'll find that eating smaller more frequent meals and snacks throughout the day works wonders for keeping your metabolism constantly burning calories, not to mention that eating so often keeps you fuller throughout the day. This can help you avoid over-eating in one sitting. How many of us have been starving for dinner after not eating since lunchtime? This meal plan is ideal for helping you maintain your weight so if you're at a good number, you'll be able to prevent excessively shedding or gaining--for the ladies we all know that our "time of the month" accounts for extra weight due to water gain--that's something we won't be able to change. LOL.

So here is a list of the foods that I choose from for this eating plan--and no, I don't eat all of these at once haha it's just a list:

Breakfast:

- Cereal
- Oatmeal
- 1 Pop Tart
- a large cup of hot chocolate (keeps me full until lunchtime if I don't really feel like eating solid food and is a great source of calcium).

Lunch:

- Half a can of Chef Boyardee pasta
- Oven roasted turkey sandwich on white bread with mayo and one slice of American cheese
- Leftovers from dinner (small portion)

Dinner:

- pasta with chopped/sliced beef or chicken
- sushi (yes, the raw fish in addition to miso soup and other dishes. Salmon both cooked and raw are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep good cholesterol up and bad cholesterol down, is good for your heart and is known to provide natural anti-aging properties)
- Portion of steak with veggies
- Rice with a mix of hard-boiled eggs and diced tomoatoes (with salt added for taste)
- Pizza (yes, I allow myself the good stuff!)

Snacks for in between meals:

- Can of mandarin orange slices in light syrup
- 1 Rice Krispie Treat
- Fresh fruit (banana, plum, cherries, strawberries, etc.)
- Can of fruit cocktail mix
- Can of sliced peaches or pear halves
- 1 Pop Tart

Drinks/Beverages

- I drink water throughout the day and keep a bottle of it near me at all times.
- During lunch I drink one (1) Capri Sun or a can of mini soda (I no longer drink a whole can so I buy the smaller ones)
- Hot Chocolate: this stuff keeps me full for a long time but I usually only drink it in the morning for breakfast or as a snack after lunch and before dinner

I also take a daily multivitamin each day after lunch. I love the Women's One A Day with added calcium. You'd be surprised how much better your body feels and reacts once you start taking a daily multivitamin!

As far as exercise goes, I actually don't do anything. I've been blessed with a fast metabolism and great genes so unfortunately, I can't provide any helpful tips on that! Sorry! :p But I do stay physically active and busy so that helps as well. But I also know the importance of getting a good night's sleep. No busy schedule is worth wreaking havoc on my looks so when I know I'm doing too much, I try to take a time out and go to bed early or I'll squeeze a cat nap in on the weekends if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment