Saturday, April 19, 2008

Love Your Art


Anything you do in life that really makes you happy, that you are really passionate about, is an art form to me. Once you get involved in something that you completely throw yourself into you feel it in your blood and in your soul. Modeling for me is not something that I did because everyone else wanted to do it. I did not get involved in this industry because I had the media and reality shows to influence me. It was something I sort of fell into but it didn't take long for me to fall in love with my art.

I can only speak for myself but I'm sure other fellow models know what the adrenaline rush feels like when you get in front of the camera or appear in front of a crowd. Few things in the world get me more exhilarated than sitting in the makeup chair "putting on my face," stepping in front of the camera and turning my model persona "on." With each "click" of the camera my mind is in overdrive. Not only because of the rush but because of the challenges I face: how can I bring out the best in these photos? What can I do differently...better than the last? How can I deliver so well that I blow the photographer and the client's mind away? These are the thoughts that drive me and I love every second of it.

The one thing that stands out for me is how lucky I am to be doing what I do. It doesn't matter to me that I'm not tall enough to walk the major runways...it doesn't faze me that I'm not tall enough to catch any uber designer's eye. I've learned long ago to stop comparing myself to the next model. Of course there is always going to be someone doing something bigger and better than what I'm working on. That's inevitable. I often take time to look back on my career and reflect on the experiences I've had and while I'm not a household name (yet) I am damned proud to say that I've been to places and seen things and done things that a huge percentage of the public will never get a chance to lay hands on in their entire lifetime. And I definitely do not mean that in a snobbish way. I mean it in more of an appreciative way.

In spite of all I've accomplished, I still get those comments from people who swear up and down that I can't possibly be a model because I'm 5'4". I get such negativity from others who see what I do but still discredit it because commercial modeling isn't "real modeling." As much as it burns me up inside to hear those comments, each time I step in front of a camera and hear that "click" of the shutter, I smile inside because how many people can do what I do? I love my art, I appreciate and enjoy my craft because it is raw, natural talent that allows me to continue on.

If you don't love your art and if you cannot be the best rated version of yourself (and not someone else), why do it at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment